Thursday, November 8, 2007

Less Than One Week and Counting . . .

Well the time has almost arrived for JJ to make his appearance. Lots of happenings this week. We had the official tour of Parkland on Monday. Sometimes you forget how big the place is until you start walking around. Becky will delivering on the 3rd floor on the east wing of labor and delivery. There are 2 waiting areas. We have advised everyone to walk through the main one down the hall to the second one. It is much nicer and has some privacy.

We met with Dr. Sanchez of the NICU at Parkland. We discussed our situation with JJ's diaphragmatic hernia and of the different outcomes. We also discussed our wishes of life saving measures and how far we are wanting to go. We also discussed our intentions to have JJ moved over to Children's Medical Center as soon as possible. Dr. Sanchez agreed to discuss our case with Dr. Thompson at Children's to make sure they were on the same page.

We finally were able to meet Dr. Harrison from UCSF in person. It was great to finally shake his hand and thank him for taking the time to consult with us regarding our case. His lecture was extremely informative. I am still amazed at all of the surgical work that he has pioneered and what they are able to accomplish. It made both Becky and I feel so happy to know that he remembered our case. Dr. Lo informed us that our case to be presented to Dr. Harrison for a further review by the surgical residences at Children. Wish we could have been a fly on the wall for that one.

Dr. Lo met with us today and told Becky she is progressing well (1 cm dilated and 50% effaced). We are still on schedule for inducement for Wed. We have to check in at 7am and are not expecting any real action until around noon or after.

A few changes to our pecking list of Surgical Doctors. Dr. Garcia's has a family member that has fallen ill and she will be leaving to take care of them (please keep her and her family in your prayers). Dr. Megison has a large family event planned shortly after delivery which would leave him unavailable to care for JJ for a period of time. So our new Surgical Doctors are Dr. Hicks and/or Dr. Schindel. I have not met them, but I have heard many good things.

Special thanks to Karen and Cindy from my work. They have helped out the past several weeks with several important items and have been there for Becky and I to share some of our thoughts with. Another thanks goes to Julie and Kendra. Both have helped Becky in keeping her sanity while staying at home. Thanks again.

On the Hockey front . . . this Saturday will be my last games for a period of time (how long I do not know). We lost our exhibition game last Friday 4-2. I played center for the whole game and had the an assist on the first goal of the game. I played well enough that the Komets asked me to play center again on Saturday (I was a little slow as this was the 3rd game in 2 days). We lost this game 3-1. On my other team the Grave Diggers we won 3-2 on the early game on Saturday. I played right wing for them, with my concentration on playing defense on the other teams best player (who just happens to be 4 inches taller than me and about 100lbs lighter, but boy can he shoot the puck). Next game is Saturday 11/10 at 6:45pm (Grave Diggers vs. Brewzers) and at 9:15pm (Komets vs. Puckers). I hope you are able to attend at least one game. I think Becky is going to try and attend the first game if her blood pressure is well. See you there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You and Becky are in my thoughts and prayers and I will be up there Wednesday right after work. If I can do anything please let me know.

Thanks again for all of your support this last weekned. All I can really remember is you ran sacking the shelfs... LOL

Mel