Saturday, March 1, 2008

What a Week!

Well my week started off wrong. I awoke Sunday morning sore and tired after the loss of both my hockey teams (except my Dallas Stars what a win streak they are on). Both games turned into real sore experiences. In the first game I had someone step on my skate and I twisted my ankle. I was skeptical about playing in the second game, but when it loosened up in warm-ups I took that as a good sign. Unfortunately I should have quit while I was ahead. In the second game I got clobbered. One of the most important rules of hockey is keep your knees bent and don't stand straight up. In doing so you make yourself an open target, as you are unable to protect yourself or move quick enough to get out of the way. I failed that lesson. After being helped off of the ice from my collision with another player I was told to take the rest of the night off. Which was good as I now had a terrible headache and I wanted to go rest somewhere while I got my faculties back? My body told me how bad the night before was when I awoke Sunday. So I vegetated most of the day.

My week continued with a headache that finally broke on Wed. On Wed. I also discovered double red cell donation at the blood bank. I had received a call from the blood bank saying they needed more donations of my blood type. I decided it was a good time to give as I was not going to be working out any this week so I would not have any conflicts in scheduling or down time to worry about (you must take it easy for 24 hours after any blood donation). When I was done qualifying they said I qualified to be a double red donor. This is a process that takes 20 minutes. During the process they only keep the red blood cells and send plasma, IV fluids, everything else back to you. Since they can take twice as much it works better for the blood supply without harming you. I also found that this same procedure is banned by cyclist organizations as it can help with improved performances in races (I figure I would forego the Tour De France this year anyways). I actually felt better after giving this blood than I did when I walked in the door. If you get a chance to give blood I would highly recommend the double red, however there are many other ways to donate(http://www.carterbloodcare.org/typesofdonations.aspx).

My week came to a close on Friday with a trip to Houston to train some of my colleagues on some of their new duties. I was greeted at the rental car center with a brand new Chrysler Sebring convertible (I even asked the attendant if they gave me the wrong car). It was a free upgrade that was quite enjoyable as it was 70 degrees in Houston when I arrived. Of course I drove with the top down, even though I did get hit with rain showers twice (luckily it was very light and very short rain). No matter what it was a refreshing end to a long week.

As for Becky she was back at boot camp this week. She is doing so good she out did her record time on the 2 mile run by 7 minutes and increased her pushups by 9. However she was able to do one thing this week that I still cannot figure out how she did it. When driving home the other night she ran over a key. Someone’s house key. I would think that a flat object like a key, which can be easily broken off in a door lock, would not have the capacity to puncture a tire. I can attest (along with the guys at Firestone) that it happened. The funniest part of all was the key was still sticking out from the tire when I changed it. So if you drive somewhere watch out for keys in the road they really bite.

Becky's grandparents will be joining us on our cruise to Alaska. It turns out Mary Bob's father always wanted to go to Alaska before he passed away. His desire to see Alaska now lives on in Mary Bob and so she snapped at the chance to go on this trip with us. We are looking forward to our cruising adventure with them. Only 2 1/2 months away. I am already getting excited.

Well I'm off to study for another test, until next week go Stars!

No comments: