Sunday, December 2, 2007

What a SLOW Process

We started to come down on ecmo for some trial sessions at low levels.  As of 9pm we were at 68% (down from 90% earlier in the day).  The goal is to reach 35% and sit there for an hour or two.  If no problems occur we then go back to 55% and hold till 10am Monday morning.

The reason for this is to make sure our blood pressure stays in a good range.  We will be having Cardiology with us tomorrow to monitor and offer any ideas or suggestions before we trial the actual clamp off.  The concern is that Johnathon's PDA (the hole in the heart that all babies have) may not have closed yet and is causing some of his blood pressure issues.  If this is the case it can be easily fixed with a cardiac catheter.

Looks like tomorrow will be a busy day.  I hope it goes faster than today.  If not I will have to say I have finally found watching paint dry to be a more enthrilling process.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stay strong. Johnathon is just testing earlier than most kids. He doesn't want to wait until the teenage years to see how much he can stress you out. I'll keep praying for you all. I pray that Johnathon will have a smooth transition from ECMO. Love you guys. Let me know if you need anything.
Kendra Tunnell

Anonymous said...

Jonathon shows he is a very strong little guy and with many prayers from all I am sure he will make it through this also. Parents do go through many different kinds of worries and stress with there children and you guys seem to have it all at once. Many prayers to you all. Love Aunt Sandi & family (NY)

Anonymous said...

Hang in there... Thought & prayers are with you!

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking he needs a Komets jersey that says Tough Guy on it-- he's definitely earned that rep. Maybe some goalie gear too.. We're all thinking of & praying for him. Let me know if you need anything at all

Mike #76

Unknown said...

Becky - we've been thinking about you a lot. Amber and Angie wanted to come to the hospital, but they've been fighting streph and stomach viruses themselves and with the kids. We're praying for you and your family. Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Becky and Stephen

My heart goes out to you as you are faced with this huge and unfair decision in the lives of yourselves and your precious son. I too have been where you are and realize the struggle you endure between easing JJ struggles and riping out a piece of your own hearts. Just know that whatever the future holds, JJ HAS and WILL continue to make a HUGE impact on your lives. This is a struggle that no child nor parent should ever need to face. If there is anything I can do or if you just need someone to talk to, PLEASE give me a call. Anyone on the floor can give you my number. Stay strong and I will continue to pray for you all.

Jerry Perry